September 9, 2013
Dear Parents and Marching Band Students,
As we begin the 2013-14 School Year, I am happy to welcome all of our returning and new Band Students back to school! It is sure to be a fantastic year for our program and I am looking forward with great anticipation to get things going. There are a few details I want to share with all of you regarding Band Procedures for the year.
All important information regarding Band Activities will be shared with parents through the school email system. Along with the weekly updates, other information will be sent home in separate emails as necessary. It is important that we have working email addresses for parents and students as well as changes that occur in these addresses during the year.
All musical supplies are available to the children through the Haynes Band Department. Prices are very reasonable and usually below the price offered by retail stores. Supplies include, but are not limited to, reeds, valve oil, cork grease, slide lubricants, replacement books, uniform items, etc. Any repair or purchases of instruments should be discussed with Mr. G. before being undertaken to save you time & money.
Beginner Band Parents in particular should be aware that there are lots of businesses in the area that sell Musical Instruments that are of inferior quality. Inferior Musical Instruments are actually being sold at regular, retail & wholesale stores (and even some Music Stores!) at very low prices that seem like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, while the price is low, so is the quality! In addition to that, when the instrument fails to work properly (and it will be sooner than you think!) The store that sold it to you likely has no repair or parts department for this product and, to make matters worse, neither do the quality repair establishments! Please contact Mr. G. for advice before making a purchase. (450-5339) At the Beginner Band Parents’ Meeting on August 20 @7:00p.m., Mr. Genevay will provide you with guidance in this and other areas pertinent to that band.
The Beginner Band will have classes as scheduled on A or B days. There are no afterschool rehearsals for this ensemble.
Afterschool Marching Band rehearsals are scheduled on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons from 2:40-4:00p.m. (But not on Thursday, Game Days!) If a student must miss a rehearsal for any reason, an email should be sent to me or the student is to report to me before 2:40p.m.with that information. (I am pretty easy to find!) Students who fail to follow this procedure will be marked with an unexcused absence on that day. Students who are absent from school on a particular day will, of course, be excused from rehearsal. Multiple unexcused absences will result in consequences for that student which will begin with a telephone call to parents to address the issue.
Those students who participate in other afterschool activities simply need to work out a schedule with me and the activity moderators or coaches to satisfy multiple-activity participation. A solution is always available when we communicate with each other.
Carpools are a great idea for pickup and should be arranged as we get back to our regular school schedule. (We have Marching Band students who live throughout the area)
The uniform for Marching Band is as follows:
Band Tee Shirt available through the Band Office ($10.00) Band Sweatshirts are also available when cooler weather dictates this option. They are also available through the Band Office ($30.00 Hoodie/$25.00 Crew Neck)
Solid Black Slacks (not jeans/parachute pants/sweat pants)
Solid Black Socks
Solid Black Shoes (no logos/Nike swooshes/additional colors)
Sweats & Tees are also available for sale to parents & supporters of our program.
I have another source for very durable & comfortable shoes through Michon Music at a special discount price of $28.00 per pair. I also have a foot-measuring tool to expedite ordering the correct size. An order form for all items has been sent to you as an attachment in this update.
The preliminary schedule of games for this fall is as follows:
Game #1: Friday, September 6 at Joe Yenni vs. Crescent City- Game Time 7:00p.m.
Game #2: Thursday, September 12 at Joe Yenni vs. Sophie Wright- Game Time 7:00p.m.
Game #3: Thursday, September 19 at Joe Yenni vs. Thomas Jefferson- Game Time 7:00p.m.
Game #4: Friday, October 4 at Joe Yenni vs. Ridgewood- Game Time 7:00p.m.
Game #5: Friday, October 18 at Joe Yenni vs. Country Day- Game Time: 6:30p.m. (Homecoming?)
We travel to & from all games on school busses. The busses generally leave from Haynes approximately 90 minutes prior to the start of the game. We return to Haynes following the game’s conclusion. This procedure, though costly, is necessary to insure the safety of our children. Parents may sign children out with me or the Drum Major at the stadium at the conclusion of the game.
Some other dates of note are as follows:
- Marching Band rehearsals begin on Tuesday, August 13 & Thursday, August 15
- Jazz Band begins rehearsals on Wednesday, August 14 from 2:40-4:30p.m.
- Beginner Band Parents’ Meeting: Tuesday, August 20 @7:00p.m./ Bandroom
- Band Boosters’ Meeting #1 (all returning students’ parents): Thursday, September 5 @7:00p.m./Bandroom
I have compiled a list of “12 Commandments for Band” regarding basic procedures to be followed by all students for the 2013-14 school year. This list addresses basic “do’s & don’ts” for our practices, performances, etc. The children are aware of these rules which were addressed in classes on Friday, August 9. They are as follows:
- Only water w/no additives may be consumed in the Bandroom
- Food /snacks may never be consumed in the Bandroom
- Music/Flip-folders must be at every rehearsal
- File cabinets are off-limits to everyone (Seniors & Section Leaders are excepted w/G’s permission)
- Electronic devices may never be used during classes, rehearsals & performances (tuning machine/metronomes are excepted)
- Pencils & Highlighters should be brought to all classes/rehearsals
- The playing or manipulation of instruments not owned or assigned to an individual student is not allowed
- The stage is off-limits to everyone (percussion/melodic students are excepted)
- Names should to be added to all materials (books, music, folders, instrument cases)
- The Bandroom is only available at Lunch recess for practicing, tutoring or studying. No “visitors”(non-band students) are allowed in the Bandroom during lunch recess without Mr. G’s permission
- Students may not come out of non-band classes to attend a Band Sectional without a signed note from the teacher of that non-band class. The note must also be initialed by Mr. G.
- Every student is to be treated with respect & courtesy at all times.
Thank you and best wishes for a great 2013-14 school year,
Haynes Academy for Advanced Studies
Band Order Form
Band Tee Shirt $10.00
Band “Hoodie” Sweatshirt $30.00
Band “Crew Neck” Sweatshirt $25.00
- Sizes: Child Lg._____ Adult Small_____ Adult Medium_____
- Adult Large_____ Adult X Large_____ Adult XXLarge_____
Black Band Marching Shoe $28.00
- Size ______ (each child will be measured for size/shoes run “normal”)
Flip Folder $10.00
Extra Flip Folder Sheets $1.00 each
Child’s Name___________________________ Grade______________
Please include payment to Haynes Academy Band with Order