Welcome! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
****NOTE- IF YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO HAVE ME FOR MORE THAN ONE CLASS, YOU CAN GET A LARGER 3 RING BINDER AND USE ONE. YOU DO NEED A COMPOSITION BOOK FOR EACH CLASS.
Welcome to APES!
Week of March 20:
- Monday – Presentation’s for Infectious Diseases
- Tuesday – ACT
- Wednesday -LUMCON Field Trip
- Thursday – Population Vocab Quiz
- Friday – Population FRQ
United Nations Project:
Environmental Problems, Their Causes, and Sustainability
- What is its location, neighboring countries, and major types of topography.
- Draw its flag and indicate its major languages.
- It is a LDC or MDC? What are some clues?
- Is there economic growth and if so, is it sustainable?
- What is the average ecological footprint?
- Draw or download a picture of sample native costume(s).
Economics, Environment and Sustainability:
- How strong is the economic system in your country and is it related to a sustainable environment?
- What value is put on natural capital, pollution control and resource use?
- What economic tools are being used to deal with environmental problems?
- What level is the poverty, how would it be reduced, and what would that do to environmental problems?
- How has the government helped make the transition towards a more sustainable society?
- What international and national legislation is helping protect wild species?
Ecosystems: What Are They and How do They Work?
- Describe a typical food web.
- What type of gross and net primary productivity is found?
- Describe some producers, herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, decomposers, and scavengers.
- What are some of the human based effects on the major nutrient cycles?
- Are there any types of research being used to study its ecosystems?
Anatomy & Physiology
Welcome to A & P!
Week of March 20:
- Monday – Introduction to Connective Tissue
- Tuesday – ACT
- Wednesday – Field Trip to LUMCON
- Thursday – Connective Tissue Virtual Lab
- Friday – Connective Tissue Disease/Research
Simple Squamous: Lungs (alveoli), lymph vessels, lining of blood vessels (arteries, capillaries, and veins), pericardium, peritoneum, Bowman’s capsule (kidneys), pleural cavity lining.
Simple Cuboidal: Thyroid, pancreas, ovaries, testes, bronchioles, kidney tubules
Simple Columnar: Stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, gallbladder, fallopian tubes, endometrium, cervix, bulbourethral gland, uterus
Pseudostratified Columnar: Epididymis, vas deferens, urethra, seminal vesicle, larynx, trachea, nose
Stratified Squamous: Gums, tongue, hard palate, esophagus, anus, skin, cervix, vagina, labia, pharynx, larynx, cornea
Stratified Cuboidal: Sweat glands
Stratified Columnar: Submandibular glands, conjunctiva, pharynx, anus, uterus, urethra, vas deferens
Transitional: Renal pelvis, ureter, bladder, urethra
Week of March 17 :
- Mitosis/Meiosis VIrtual Lab http://www.phschool.com/science/biology_place/labbench/lab3/intro.html
- Genetics of Organisms Virtual Lab
Useful Links & Information
- APES Cartoon Guide to the Environment (See Ms. Coogler for Handout)
- https://www.edmodo.com/ (Edmodo)
- http://www.turnitin.com/ (Turnitin.com)
- http://www.enn.com/ (Environmental News Network)
- http://destiny.jppss.k12.la.us/common/servlet/presenthomeform.do;jsessionid=F8994A4AB91E994C1A09A866EF3B5E9B?l2m=Home&tm=Home&l2m=Home (Haynes Destiny – Research Resources)
- http://education.med.nyu.edu/virtualmicroscope/collection/23/ (Virtual Microscope)
- http://medsci.indiana.edu/c602web/602/c602web/virtual_nrml/nrml_lst.htm (Virtual Microscope)
- http://aperio.duhs.duke.edu/DukeHistology/Epithelium/view.apml (Virtual Scope)
- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/warming/etc/script.html (VIDEO – What’s up with the weather)
- http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/histology/menu/menu.html (Get Body Smart)
- Connective Tissue (Virutal Microscope) http://aperio.duhs.duke.edu/DukeHistology/Connective_Tissue/view.apml?