Join “Remind” with Mrs. Coats. Text the number 81010. STUDENTS should list initials as the first part of their registration name. All other information should be fabricated. Students should not use their entire first or last name in the registration. Parents can also sign up for remind.
- For Geometry, send the message @cc2018g
- For Intro to Engineering, send the message @cceng2018
- For Intro to Robotics, send the message @ccrobot18
- For NATIONAL COMPETITION for Academic Games, send the message @agloahm for middle school and @agloaha for high school.
- For Girl Scout Troop 40019, send the message @gs40019
FOR GEOMETRY in the Fall 2018, join Mrs. Coats Geometry Class with KHAN ACADEMY by going to www.khanacademy.org/join then entering the class code NRTGJBCS and pressing Add. If you don’t already have an account, press “Create a new account”. You should sign up with an email address NOT google. Neither your full first name or your full last name should be used and information can be falsified. I will collect your fabricated name in class so I can monitor your progress. Assignments will be given in class throughout the course. Students will need access to computers for their assignments.
One of the forms that need to be turned in at the beginning of the year is listed here: Form from Agenda
Mrs. Coats will offer tutoring at lunch but the schedule will depend on her duty schedule.
All contact should be to Catherine.Coats@JPPSS.K12.LA.US . If I have not replied within 24 hours, please call the school as it means that I did not receive your email.
Supply list for Engineering 2018-19: Syllabus: Coats Syllabus Engineering (8/3/18)
Students should bring to school daily: Pen, pencil, straight edge, Graph Composition Book (9.75″ x 7.5″ Graph Paper Notebook), and a folder with pockets for handouts (must be used exclusively for engineering). For the classroom, please bring in: A roll of paper towels and either a container of disinfecting wipes or a box of tissues. Most assignments will be done on the computer. Students will need an email address to use in Google Drive. The email address is required to start with the student’s initials and should not contain the student’s full first name or last name. I would suggest setting up a new account for this class (it can also be used for Robotics), because we will be using it very frequently. There is a $15 fee for this course. Checks can be made out to Haynes Academy.
Supply list for GEOMETRY 2018-19: Syllabus: Coats Syllabus Geometry (8/7/18)
Personal Supplies that students should bring to school daily:
1. Pencils (Assignments and Assessments MUST be done NEATLY in PENCIL, Notes may be taken in pen)
2. High Quality Compass (This will be used often. You may want to look for one who’s tip retracts when closed.)
3. TI-30 Calculator. (NOT Multi-view). You WILL need your calculator from last year, but not daily.
4. Composition notebook (any color or cute covers are fine)
5. Three-ring binder (1” is suggested.) This will hold workbook pages for the section we are working on.
Classroom Supplies: Students should bring in the following to Mrs. Coats: 1 roll of paper towels, 1 pack of loose-leaf, 1 pack of pencils, 1 pack of post-it notes, AND 1 pack of index cards (regular size, white, lined), and either a container of disinfecting wipes or a box of tissues.
Useful but not required personal items: 3-hole punch, highlighter, black expo marker, scissors, correcting tape and one of the following: glue stick, double stick tape, glue dots, or mini-stapler. If you like to keep your papers for review, I would suggest a 3” binder to be kept at home. Liquid correcting fluid is not allowed in my classroom.
Supply list for Robotics 2018-19: Students should bring to school daily: Pen, pencil, calculator, straight edge, Graph Composition Book (9.75″ x 7.5″ Graph Paper Notebook), and a folder or binder with pockets for handouts. Useful but not required items: Fine Tipped EXPO, colored pencils, Washi Tape. Students will need an email address to use in Google Drive. The email address is required to start with the student’s initials and should not contain the student’s full first name or last name.
WEBSITES FOR GEOMETRY PRACTICE
https://kutasoftware.com/freeige.html (Dr.Bouchon recommended)
http://www.tests.com/practice/geometry-practice-test (Khan recommended)
https://www.testprepreview.com/modules/geometry.htm (Khan recommended)
http://www.math-tests.com/geometry-test.html (Khan recommended)
8/10 Try to get supplies by Wednesday. If you don’t want to get a binder, a folder is OK, but a small binder is preferred. You need an email address that doesn’t have your first or last name to access Khan. Create a new one if you need to and register for my class at Khan. Cut and paste/glue/tape the symbols on pages 3&4 of your Interactive Notebook. Define the following terms on page 5 of your notebook: Isometry, Reflection, Rotation, Transformation, Translation, Congruence. Paste/glue/tape the Vocabulary pages to pages 6&7 in the Interactive notebook. TRY to do at least one copy of each of the major angles from the Constructing angles pages. You will need to do 2 more copies of each on a separate sheet of paper by Wednesday. Constructing Angles with Compass
8/13 Module 1 Lesson 1 in Eureka. Students should continue working on their Interactive Notebooks. Finish defining the vocabulary words listed above. Do 4 copies of each of the 4 angles listed on the handout. Review the lesson from Eureka, complete any areas you left blank, and complete the Problem Set on page 6. We will do the Exit Ticket in class. (Don’t forget to get all your forms signed.)
8/14 Make sure you are answering all the questions in your workbook. If you didn’t answer them in class, they need to be completed for HW. HW p8: Write the steps that coincide with your drawing. HW p9: Draw and Write the steps. HW p10. Read the Assumptions at the bottom of p12. Bisect the angles on p14. All work should be done up to and including page 14. All HW is due Friday.
8/15 We have made it through Lesson 5. All work should be done and shown in the work book up to and including page 32. You do not have to do p7 (we did it in class), p9 at the bottom, p27 1st Q was done in class. Attached is a summary of bisecting angles, copying angles, and drawing perpendicular bisectors. NOTE: When you copy the an angle, you have to change your compass distance to the length across the arc. Example is in the attachment. Summary of beginning of U1 – Posting – Bisect Copy Perpendicular Bisector Also, Khan has been assigned. All work through page 32 and Khan are due Monday. I will also be checking Interactive Notebooks at that time.
Week of 8/20:
- After Interactive Notebooks, Angle copies, and Workbooks are checked, students will be given the next packet for their Interactive Notebooks. Instructions should be followed for putting these in the notebooks.
- Students should fill in any missing vocabulary words and should review all information in the notebook.
- Khan has been assigned for the week.
- Students will need to see Mrs. Coats to re-complete any Exit Tickets that were answered correctly and/or sufficiently.
- Last Warning on Syllabus Signatures. Detentions tomorrow.
- Use notes and vocabulary in Interactive Notebook to help with the below assignments. If it says “We do” it means that we will do it together in class, but you still have to show all work and correct answers in your workbook.
- NOTE! You may find pdf’s of the workbook online but the pages don’t line up. Be careful!
- Lesson 1.6 You read/do pages 33-38. Read pages 40-42 (Monday)
- Lesson 1.7 You read/do page 43 All and pages 44-46 Odd (Monday)
- Lesson 1.8 You read/do pages 49 All and pages 50-51 Odd (Tuesday)
- Lesson 1.9 You read/do pages 55. (Tuesday) We will do page 56 together. (Wednesday)
- Lesson 1.10 We do pages 63-64. You do pages 65-66. (Wednesday)
- Lesson 1.11 We do pages 69-72. You do page 73. (Wednesday)
- Lesson 1.12 You do pages 75-76. We do page 77. You do page 79. (Thursday)
- Lesson 1.13 We do page 81. You read/do pages 82-83. You do pages 84-85. (Thursday)
- Lesson 1.14 You read pages 89-90. We do pages 91-92. You do page 93.(Friday)
- Lesson 1.15 You read pages 95-97. You do page 98. We do page 99. (Friday)
8/10 Please get supplies and get forms signed. Instructions will come from the school soon on how to pay course fees online, so you can hold off and pay online, if you want, once the instructions come. THANKS.
8/13 Engineering Video – https://youtu.be/vj-H_Mbfvu4
This week is an Introduction to Engineering and ETHICS. Have discussions at home about ethics. Students are making videos of different ethics scenarios and will write a paper about the experience.
FOR NEW STUDENTS IN ENGINEERING ONLY!